Myrtle Beach Marathon Training – Week 8

These weeks just keep flying right on by! I am almost halfway through training! This week was gearing up to be my best of this training cycle until I was hit with another illness. It would have been my highest mileage week ever. Oh well…next week will be better! On a positive note, I was very proud of my race effort as well as my speed work. I can’t wait to get healthy and back to training! Here’s how the week went: 

Sunday: In place of my long run, I decided to run a local half marathon which you can read about here. I ran 13.1 miles in 1:41:01 @ a 7:43 average pace. I got myself a shiny new PR and I placed 2nd in my age group! 


Monday: 6 mile post-race shakeout/recovery run @ a 9:12 average pace. Splits were 9:07, 9:18, 9:26, 9:11, 9:13, and 9:00. At first my legs felt so unbelievably heavy during this run but after about 2-3 miles, they loosened up and felt great. I am so happy I got this run done because my legs needed it after yesterday’s race and sitting at a desk job all day. Boy were they stiff! Afterwards, Kevin and I met up with my parents for a beer. Great night!

Tuesday: 1 up, 6×800/400RI, 1.5 down for 7 total miles @ a 7:53 average pace. I had to run on the treadmill in my cluttered garage because it was raining nonstop and I don’t feel comfortable doing speed work in the rain. My goal for these was 3:20 (6:40 pace) and it’s safe to say I crushed this workout! Splits were 3:09, 3:10, 3:07, 3:07, 3:06, and 3:10. 

Wednesday: Rest day hallelujah! After work, I relaxed with the family and it was seriously glorious although I was itching to run because my new running shoes came in the mail and of course I had to try them on! Aren’t they beautiful?! I’m a huge fan of the Brooks Launch after revisiting an old pair a few weeks ago! 

Thursday: Well this was unexpected. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I had been hit by a freight train. My entire body ached, I had chills, I felt nauseous, and my throat was insanely sore. All I could think was “oh no, not again.” I’ve been sick off an on for over a month now and I have no clue why I’m not getting any better. Anyway, my day was spent at home on the couch sleeping because I’m pretty sure it’s the flu. I was supposed to run 8 miles on the treadmill.

Friday: Sick day #2. I felt better than the day before but still too sick to work. I spent the day disinfecting the house and resting on the couch. I was supposed to run a 7 mile tempo run that Kevin was going to accompany me with on his bike. Thankfully I still have quite a few weeks until the marathon so I’m going to take advantage of these extra rest days to really get my health back to normal. 

Saturday: Broke down and went to the Dr. Both Kevin and I were diagnosed with acute bronchitis yay. This week sure went to hell in a hand basket real quick. Hoping I am better come Monday to start a new training week. I did manage to make some cookies so I haven’t been completely useless lol. They are damn good too!! 

Total Mileage for the week: 13 lmao (excludes Sunday’s race) 

Last weeks recap: Myrtle Beach Marathon Training – Week 7


About Runthusiast

Running enthusiast, health nut, mom, pinterest addict!
This entry was posted in Running and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Myrtle Beach Marathon Training – Week 8

  1. Elizabeth C. says:

    Congrats again on the half marathon PR. That’s phenomenal. I always find that when I do a recovery run the day after a race the first few miles are tight but then things loosen up and feel better by the end. Being able to run a good recovery jog the next day is a great skill, so clearly you are doing well prepping for the marathon. So sorry you are ill. I hope it goes away quickly.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s